Big Brothers Big Sisters of Atlantic and Cape May Counties
The mission of Big Brothers Big Sisters is to provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported 1-to-1 relationships that change their lives for the better, forever. Our vision is that all children achieve success in life. In 2015 we are celebrating 50 years of helping local children face the challenges that they experience at home, in school, or in the community.
We recently surveyed some of the children in our program and found that:
- 100% maintained or improved in social acceptance
- 95% maintained or improved in scholastic competence
- 86% maintained or improved in their educational expectations
- 73% maintained or improved their grades
- 86% feel as though they have a special adult, other than their caretaker in their life.
In order to provide the professional support that ensures the “Bigs” and “Littles” in our program are safe, and effective, it costs an average of $1,200 per year, per match. With all non-profits seeing public funding, and national support decline, we depend for the majority of our funds to come from local individuals and businesses. We have four primary fundraising events every year. In the spring we have our Wild Walk for Kids, through the summer and in the fall we have a car raffle, we also have a mini-golf outing in the fall, as well as our annual Rise and Shine breakfast in the winter.