Samaritan Healthcare & Hospice
Samaritan’s mission is to provide unparalleled services with respect, dignity, and compassion for all people affected by serious, progressive illness or grief.
In walking with families, Samaritan strives to share the hope and the grace to live each day to the fullest, with comfort and dignity, and surrounded by loved ones. They help empower people to make difficult decisions with the security of a team of professionals to assist them on this overwhelming journey. When a family is ready to choose hospice care, a team of compassionate specialists including doctors, nurses, social workers, chaplains, home health aides and bereavement counselors arrive wherever they call home. The hospice team treats pain and other distressing symptoms with palliative care, and eases the emotional and spiritual suffering of patients while providing services to support their loved ones and families.
Samaritan offers many supportive programs to patients and their families including:
- Hospice care for the individuals facing a life limiting illness;
- Palliative medical consultations for pain and symptom management for individuals living with a chronic illness;
- Transitions support system including check in calls, staffed by volunteers, for those living with serious illness;
- The Samaritan Inpatient Hospice Center provides a “home away from home” for patients whose pain, symptoms, and special needs require a more acute level of care than is recommended within the home. (A second inpatient center – The Samaritan Center at Voorhees – is under construction and scheduled to open in late 2016);
- Massage, music and pet comfort therapy;
- Veterans Outreach for healthcare providers to educate about the physical, emotional, and spiritual issues stemming from veterans’ military experiences;
- Volunteer Services for companionship, reassurance and assistance. This also includes vigil volunteers who provide a comforting presence to patients at the end of life with the intention that no person should pass alone; and
- The Center for Grief Support, where Samaritan stands ready to help with a staff of trained bereavement professionals whose expertise, experience, empathy, and understanding help children and adults cope with the death of a loved one through support groups and grief counseling.